- The 5-day festival to kick-off at Saligao from January 7, 2014 onwards
- The festival will showcase the authentic Goan cuisine, hand-made, one-of-a-kind ethnic collectibles and crafts and other events!
If you think the New Year celebrations are over and it’s time to pack your bags, well then you might have to reconsider your decision. This year, Goa is all set to host the 2nd Annual Heritage Festival which promises to be bigger and better than the previous year. The festival will be held at Saligao Football Ground, opposite the Mae de Deus Church, a beautiful 125-year-old heritage structure from 7th to 11th January, 2014. It will be inaugurated by Hon’ble Chief Minister, Shri Manohar Parrikar in presence of Hon’ble Tourism Minister Shri Dilip Parulekar, Hon’ble MLA & GTDC Chairman Shri Nilesh Cabral, Secretary Tourism Shri Parimal Rai, Sarpanch of Saligao Eknath Oraskar and other dignitaries.
Organized by the Department of Tourism & Goa Tourism Development Corporation (GTDC), the event celebrates the arts, culture, history that showcases the Goan spirit bringing together host of talented performers and artisans to create a unique experience for the tourists.
During the five day festival, Goan artisans and craftsmen will display their skills and crafts with live demonstrations. There will be stalls exhibiting and promoting unique Goan crafts like pottery, woodcraft, crochet, marco, handicrafts, coconut craft, hand painted tiles etc. What’s more, the event will also feature various food stalls serving traditional Goan cuisine, managed by local artisans/self help groups.
Besides this, a special gallery will be set up to exhibit ancient Goan heritage photographs, Great Goans in History, traditional way of life of Goans, Historic moments of Goan history captured through pictures, etc. There will also be a section of heritage items used earlier by Goans. A special section on Saligao Village will showcase the history of the church, the Historic temple of Goddess Sharvani, the history of Saligao village and the heritage houses in the village.
Visitors can also experience the entertainment programmes that includes Goan dance performances like Dhalo, Mando, Fugdi, Ghode Modni, Goff, Divli dance, Kunbi dance, Kalshi dance, Kazaracho dance, fisherfolk dance and the likes along with other traditional Goan folk dances like Jagor, Morulo, Khel Tiatr, brass band, Veerabhadra, Dhangar Nrutya, Zemado, Dasarwadan, etc. The folk artists dressed in traditional Goan dance costumes will be moving around entertaining the crowd during the festival.
- Fashion show on traditional Goan wear by well-known Goan fashion designer Verma D’Mello.
- Konkani songs by Sonia Shirsat
- Classical singing by Praveen Gaonkar
- Performance by Goa’s nightingale Lorna Cordeiro
- Goa’s folk dances by Mahendra Phaldessai Troupe, Amelia Dias and Troupe, Amit Tate & Group, Kirti Kala Krida Kendra from Bicholim led by Pundalik Sawant, Marianela Gina & Troupe, the famous trio combination popularly known as ‘Mil Mel Nel’
- Performance by Tiatr artists Milagres Fernandes, Cezar D’Mello and Agnel D’Costa, besides a traditional Goan brass band.
As part of the Goa Heritage Festival, a seminar has been organised on the Saturday January 11th on Goan Heritage at the Saligao Panchayat Hall, with lectures by President of Goa Heritage Action Group and professor at Dhempe College of Arts & Science Mr. Prajal Sakhardande, Feature Writer & Photographer Pantaleao Fernandes.
Eminent personalities from around Goa will be felicitated during the festival to appreciate their contribution in various fields.
So, what are you waiting for? Come and witness Goa’s rich cultural heritage through this unique 5 day festival starting January 7, 2014 onwards!!!