Dubai, UAE – February 13, 2018 – Dubai Airports today announced the successful completion of the world’s first Tier III certified Modular Data Centre Complex (MDCC)* at Dubai International (DXB) following a tour of the new facility by His Highness Sheikh Ahmed Bin Saeed Al Maktoum, Chairman of Dubai Airports.
The project was led by Dubai Airports and delivered by Huawei, a leader in the field, in just over 400 days to coincide with UAE’s month of innovation being observed during February.
The complex is equipped with next generation technologies to ensure the highest levels of availability, maintainability, resilience and seamless business continuity to support DXB’s growing and complex operation. Dubai Airports worked closely with Huawei to design and build the Tier 3 pre-fabricated data centre incorporating smart operations and intelligent management platforms to host critical IT systems. The new facility will provide a stable and reliable environment for Dubai Airports to host its private cloud.
“With over 240,000 passengers and 1,100 flights per day, zero downtime and hundreds of internal and external systems to manage, high reliability and resilience are critical requirements for Dubai Airports’ business technology infrastructure,” said Michael Ibbitson, Executive Vice President. “This centre boosts our operational efficiency and powers our ability to grow, innovate and enhance the customer experience.”
The DXB data centre is the first of two planned modular facilities that Huawei will build for Dubai Airports. Together, they will operate as a pair of mirrored Tier III data centres interconnected through a dedicated fibre optic link that will provide high-level resilience and availability to support the critical operations of Dubai Airports. The timeline for the second facility has yet to be finalised.
Alaa ElShimy, Managing Director & Vice President, Huawei Enterprise Middle East said, “Huawei is proud to have worked with Dubai Airports to deliver this exceptional facility. It is one of the most advanced and unique Tier III certified data centres in the world that will ensure highest levels of availability, maintainability, resiliency and seamless business continuity.”
About Dubai Airports
- Dubai Airports manages the operation and development of both of Dubai’s airports – DXB and DWC.
- As integrator, Dubai Airports works to balance the interests of all stakeholders to maintain aviation growth, protect operational resilience and ensure that service providers collaborate to provide a safe and secure service and improve the experience of our customers whilst maintaining a sustainable business.
- DXB is the world’s number one airport in terms of international passenger traffic and number three globally in terms of total passenger traffic as reported by Airports Council International.
- DXB ranks fourth globally for international cargo traffic.
- For hi-res images please visit our image library
- *The MDCC’s is the world’s first modular data centres that will be certified by the Uptime Institute to Tier III for design and construction.
- Huawei is a leading global information and communications technology (ICT) solutions provider. Our aim is to enrich life and improve efficiency through a better connected world, acting as a responsible corporate citizen, innovative enabler for the information society, and collaborative contributor to the industry. Driven by customer-centric innovation and open partnerships, Huawei has established an end-to-end ICT solutions portfolio that gives customers competitive advantages in telecom and enterprise networks, devices and cloud computing. Huawei’s 176,000 employees worldwide are committed to creating maximum value for telecom operators, enterprises and consumers. Our innovative ICT solutions, products and services are used in more than 170 countries and regions, serving over one-third of the world’s population. Founded in 1987, Huawei is a private company fully owned by its employees.
- For more information, please visit Huawei online at www.huawei.com or follow us on:
Huawei Enterprise Business Group
- The Enterprise Business Group service offerings focus on the enterprise infrastructure, enterprise communications, data centres, and industry applications. To support the cloud-computing era and innovative new business models, the Enterprise Business Group also provides cloud computing-based data centre and enterprise applications. The Enterprise Business Group has set up departmental organizations in over 100 countries and regions.
- By leveraging its years of technical expertise and unmatched R&D capabilities, the Enterprise Business group is well-positioned to grow together with customers and partners for the future cloud computing and ICT convergence era.